Step 6: 1, 10, 100 More or Less Year 3 Place Value Learning Video Clip
Cleo is exploring Ancient Greece and meets a musician who looks upset. Cleo needs your help to cheer him up by completing various calculations throughout her journey.
More resources for Autumn Block 1 Step 6.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
- How many people bought tickets for the show on Thursday? Discuss how to use the information about Wednesday’s audience to calculate the size of the audience for Thursday’s show. Discuss which place value digit will change and how it will change.
- How much is Prexinos’s lyre worth? Discuss using the information given about the price of the pan pipes and then looking at which place value column will change.
- How many olives do they have now? Discuss which digit column will change.
- How many people are in the audience now? Discuss which digit column will change.
- Help Prexinos work out how many more tickets he would need to sell to fill the amphitheatre. Discuss which place value column to start with and how many times you need to add 1, 10 and 100 more to reach 1,000.
Optional discussion points:
How can knowledge of number bonds help you with the last question?
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 3: (3N1b) count from 0 in multiples of 4, 8, 50 and 100
Mathematics Year 3: (3N2b) find 10 or 100 more or less than a given number
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.