Ali the Animal Keeper needs to check the animal population numbers using her knowledge of estimating answers.
More resources for Autumn Block 2 Step 17.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
1. Estimate how many sloths there are in the Conservation Park.
Discuss whether the arrow provides the answer to the question. What other things need to be considered in order to find the correct answer?
115 (or sensible estimations)
2. Estimate how many there are in total.
Discuss method used to find the answer. Which near numbers are used?
250 (or sensible estimations)
3. Help her work out how many there could be.
Discuss the given parameters and how they affect the answer. This question is open-ended for the children to explore.
Various answers, for example: 667
4. Estimate how many will be in the wild altogether.
Discuss method used to find the answer. Discuss the wording used in the question. Does this affect your answer? Why?
Maximum of 510
5. Find their nearest numbers and then match them up to help Ali fill in the table.
Discuss method used to find answer. Do near numbers make this question easier to work out?
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 3: (3C3) Estimate the answer to a calculation and use inverse operations to check answers
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.