Maths Non Negotiables Year 5
Maths non negotiables Year 5 are the minimum expectations that all pupils must attain by the end of the academic year from the New National Curriculum 2014. This activity pack has been designed to assist teachers with planning/assessment of the basics to ensure children make rapid progress and access learning in other areas, as well as securing success in terms of preparing children for the next stages in their learning. It does not cover every objective for Year 5.
Written with age appropriate expectations in mind, they:
- focus on the basics; making a difference to progress for all children
- support teachers in recognising key areas to promote progress
- are based on the average pupil in the cohort, supporting the need for differentiation.
Non negotiables are in no way intended to cover the entirety of the curriculum – they are an on-going reminder of key objectives for the year group. They are the basics in order to embed and support meaningful learning.
Not a member? Sign up here.
What's included in the pack?
This pack includes:
- Mathematics Non Negotiables End of Year Expectations for Year 5 followed by an activity booklet containing example questions.
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 5: (5N5) Interpret negative numbers in context, count forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers, including through zero
Mathematics Year 5: (5N1) Count forwards or backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 1 000 000
Mathematics Year 5: (5N2) Read, write, order and compare numbers to at least 1 000 000 and determine the value of each digit
Mathematics Year 5: (5F8) Read, write, order and compare numbers with up to three decimal places
Mathematics Year 5: (5N3b) Read Roman numerals to 1000 (M) and recognise years written in Roman numerals
Mathematics Year 5: (5C5a) Identify multiples and factors, including finding all factor pairs of a number, and common factors of two numbers
Mathematics Year 5: (5C6a) Multiply and divide numbers mentally drawing upon known facts
Mathematics Year 5: (5C5c) Establish whether a number up to 100 is prime and recall prime numbers up to 19
Mathematics Year 5: (5C5D) Recognise and use square numbers and cube numbers, and the notation for squared (2) and cubed (3)
Mathematics Year 5: (5N4) Round any number up to 1 000 000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10 000 and 100 000
Mathematics Year 5: (5F7) Round decimals with two decimal places to the nearest whole number and to one decimal place
Mathematics Year 5: (5C2) Add and subtract whole numbers with more than 4 digits, including using formal written methods (columnar addition and subtraction)
Mathematics Year 5: (5C3) Use rounding to check answers to calculations and determine, in the context of a problem, levels of accuracy
Mathematics Year 5: (5C7a) Multiply numbers up to 4 digits by a one- or two-digit number using a formal written method, including long multiplication for two-digit numbers
Mathematics Year 5: (5C7b) Divide numbers up to 4 digits by a one-digit number using the formal written method of short division and interpret remainders appropriately for the context
Mathematics Year 5: (5C6b) Multiply and divide whole numbers and those involving decimals by 10, 100 and 1000
Mathematics Year 5: (5F6b) Recognise and use thousandths and relate them to tenths, hundredths and decimal equivalents
Mathematics Year 5: (5F2a)Recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions and convert from one form to the other and write mathematical statements > 1 as a mixed number [for example, 2/5 + 4/5 = 6/5 = 1 1/5 ]
Mathematics Year 5: (5F5) Multiply proper fractions and mixed numbers by whole numbers, supported by materials and diagrams
Mathematics Year 5: (5F2b) Identify, name and write equivalent fractions of a given fraction, represented visually, including tenths and hundredths
Mathematics Year 5: (5M4) Solve problems involving converting between units of time
Mathematics Year 5: (5S1) Complete, read and interpret information in tables, including timetables
End of Year Expectations for Year 5
- Count forwards and backward with positive and negative numbers through zero
- Count forwards/backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 1,000,000
- Compare and order numbers up to 1,000,000
- Compare and order numbers with 3 decimal places
- Read Roman numerals to 1,000
- Identify all multiples and factors, including finding all factor pairs of two numbers
- Use known tables to derive other number facts
- Recall prime numbers up to 19
- Recognise and use square numbers and cube numbers
- Recognise place value of any number up to 1,000,000
- Round any number up to 1,000,000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10,000 or 100,000
- Round decimals with 2 decimal places to nearest whole number and 1 decimal place
- Add and subtract: Numbers with more than 4-digits using formal written method
- Use rounding to check answers
- Multiply: 4-digits by 1-digit/ 2-digit
- Divide: Up to 4-digits by 1-digit
- Multiply & divide: Whole numbers & decimals by 10, 100 and 1,000
- Recognise and use thousandths
- Recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions and convert from one to another
- Multiply proper fractions and mixed numbers by whole numbers
- Identify and write equivalent fractions
- Solve time problems using timetables and converting between different units of time
This resource is available to download with a Premium subscription.