Step 7: Numbers to a Million Year 5 Place Value Learning Video Clip
Buzz and Reena are stranded on Venus awaiting a rescue ship as they ran out of fuel for their space buggy. Whilst they are waiting, they encounter numbers to a million and beyond.
More resources for Autumn Block 1 Step 7.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
- Help Reena work out what Buzz’s number could be. Discuss each of the clues in turn and whether the clues can lead to the identification of a specific number or a range of possibilities. What could those possibilities be?
- How many ‘stars’ has Reena had in total for her three space photos? Discuss using knowledge of place value to add the numbers mentally.
- How many seconds worth of oxygen are they sending down to Buzz and Reena? Discuss using knowledge of place value to find a missing number. How could you represent this problem using a part whole model?
- How many stars do you think she’ll get? Discuss numbers greater than 3 million. This question is open ended for the children to explore.
- How could this number be represented? Discuss how the number agreed from the last question could be represented in different ways, for example, counters on a place value chart. This question is open ended for the children to explore.
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 5: (5N2) Read, write, order and compare numbers to at least 1 000 000 and determine the value of each digit
Mathematics Year 5: (5N6) Solve number problems and practical problems that involve (5N1) (5N2) (5N4) (5N5)
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.