Step 3: Representing Objects Year 1 Place Value Learning Video Clip
Jungle Jim is working in the jungle. He is using different objects to represent the animals and insects he sees in the jungle. Help him to explore and complete the different representations.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
- Which animal has Jungle Jim represented on his clipboard? Discuss what the representation shows. Discuss which animal it could show by counting the different groups.
- How many leaves does he need to draw on his clipboard? Discuss that the animals have to be counted correctly to complete the information. Discuss that one leaf needs to be drawn to represent each one of the animals.
- How many circles will he draw for each insect? Discuss the different insects that can be seen and count them.
- Has Jungle Jim represented the insects correctly on his clipboard? Discuss the importance of finding all the information. Discuss if they are represented correctly. Discuss why a butterfly is included on the clipboard and how this can be represented.
- Jungle Jim represented all the animals he can see right now, how many objects would he draw to represent them? Discuss the importance of counting in order and using 1:1 correspondence. Discuss which animals are easier to count.
- What three ways could Jungle Jim represent the animals he can see? Discuss how the animals can be represented. What objects could be used? Is there more than one way to represent the same number? Can two sets of data with the same amount be represented in different ways?
Optional discussion points:
What other animals in the jungle could be represented?
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 1: (1N4) Identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations including the number line, and use the language of: equal to, more than, less than (fewer), most, least
Mathematics Year 1: (1N2c) Read and write numbers from 1 to 20 in numerals and words
More resources for Autumn Block 1 Step 3.
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.