Round Within a Million Year 5 Place Value Learning Video Clip
Step 10: Round Within a Million Year 5 Place Value Learning Video Clip
Buzz and Reena are astronauts travelling around the universe. They need your helping with rounding numbers as they do some shopping, help the International Space Station and attempt to help an alien in distress.
More resources for Autumn Block 1 Step 10.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
- Help Buzz and Reena round each item to the nearest 10,000 and 1,000. Discuss the different numbers and how they will be rounded. Discuss why they need to be rounded to different numbers, and which is the most useful. Discuss which digits are relevant when rounding to 1,000 and 10,000.
- Which item rounds to the same amount when rounded to £10,000 and £1,000? Discuss why these numbers round to the same amount by referring to the digits in the hundreds and thousands columns.
- Who is correct? Discuss how to round 801,651 to the nearest 100,000.
- Explain why, in some instances, it is not appropriate to round down. Discuss the circumstances when it is appropriate to round numbers up rather than down.
- Help them round each number to the nearest 1,000. Discuss how the missing commas usually help to identify the place value columns in larger numbers. Discuss which columns are relevant before rounding to the nearest 1,000.
- What would Buzz and Reena need to know before they can help? Discuss how Buzz and Reena would need to know how to convert the words into digits using their knowledge of place value. They would also need to know what to round the numbers to, and this would depend on what the numbers represented and what the rounding was needed for. This question is open-ended for the children to explore.
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 5: (5N2) Read, write, order and compare numbers to at least 1,000,000
Mathematics Year 5: (5N3a) Determine the value of each digit in numbers up to 1,000,000
Mathematics Year 5: (5N4) Round any number up to 1,000,000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000 and 100,000
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.