The Number Line Year 1 Number and Place Value Learning Video Clip
Step 15: The Number Line Year 1 Place Value Learning Video Clip
Jungle Jim is exploring the jungle. He is using a number line to count to 10, represent numbers and solve greater than/less than problems. He uses the number line to record the number of different objects and creatures he finds.
More resources for Autumn Block 1 Step 15.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
- Which number represents the amount of birds he saw? Discuss how many birds flew past Jungle Jim. Discuss the numbers on the number line and find which number matches the amount of birds.
- How many zebras were at the watering hole when Jungle Jim arrived? Discuss the amount of zebras at the watering hole before one ran off. Discuss the numbers on the number line and find which number matches the amount of zebras.
- Which number shows the amount of zebras at the watering hole now? Discuss the amount of zebras remaining after one zebra runs away. Discuss the numbers on the number line, thinking about one more and one less.
- Which photo does not show this number? Discuss what is the same and what is different about each image. Discuss where the finger is pointing on the number line, counting along the increments to help. Discuss which amount on the photographs does not match the number shown on the number line.
- How many snakes could Jungle Jim have seen? Discuss the number of ants that Jim has seen. Discuss the meaning of ‘he saw more snakes than ants’ using the language ‘less than/greater than’. Discuss the possibilities, using the number line to help. This question is open-ended for children to explore.
Optional discussion points:
How else could Jungle Jim use his number line? Are there different ways to count one more/one less?
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 1: (1N4) Identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations including the number line, and use the language of: equal to, more than, less than (fewer), most, least
Mathematics Year 1: (1N2b) Given a number, identify one more and one less
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.