Step 4: Count in 1,000s Year 4 Place Value Learning Video Clip
Fabio works in the gift shop at the Colosseum in Rome. He is ordering new stock for his store and needs to use his knowledge of counting in 1,000s to help him.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
- How many visitors were there? Discuss how the numbers change as the clicker reaches the thousand. What happens to the place value of the other digits?
- How many visitors were there over August? Discuss counting in 1,000s. Which digits change? Discuss the different ways the numbers have been represented.
- How many badges should Fabio order for September? Discuss the total from the month of August. Will this need to increase, decrease or stay the same? Consider the change in tourist numbers as summer ends.
- How many ice creams and ice lollies does he still have left to sell? Discuss counting forwards and backwards in multiples of 1,000. Discuss the need to refer back to the information they already know about the number of visitors to the Colosseum.
- Help him to work out the missing values. Discuss how best to work out the problem. Discuss counting forwards and backwards in multiples of 1,000. Discuss the clues given to work out the missing values.
Optional discussion points:
What other ways could 100s, 10s and 1s be represented?
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 4: (4N2b) Find 1000 more or less than a given number
Mathematics Year 4: (4N3a) Recognise the place value of each digit in a four digit number (thousands, hundreds, tens and ones)
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.