Step 8: Counting in Powers of 10 Year 5 Place Value Learning Video Clip
As they continue their journey through space, Buzz and Reena need your help to count in powers of ten to piece together more facts along the way until they arrive at the International Space Station.
More resources for Autumn Block 1 Step 8.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
- Write down the next three speeds in the sequence. Discuss how to complete a set of values by adding 10,000.
- Help Buzz and Reena fill in the missing digits to show a complete set of temperature data. Discuss how to add and subtract 100°C to a set of data which involves both positive and negative integers.
- How far do they travel each day? Discuss the increase in the total distance travelled each day by investigating which digit is changing each time.
- On which day of the week will their spaceship be entitled to a free service? Discuss how to find out which day of the week the spaceship will have travelled more than 50,000,000km altogether by repeatedly adding 100,000 to a given value.
- Which astronaut’s method do you prefer? Discuss whether counting in 10km or 100km would be more effective. This question is open-ended for the children to explore.
- Help Buzz and Reena track the remainder of their journey on the tablet. Discuss how to construct a sequence that takes Buzz and Reena to their destination.
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 5: (5N1) Count forwards or backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 1,000,000
Mathematics Year 5: (5N5) Interpret negative numbers in context, count forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers, including through zero
Mathematics Year 5: (5N6) Solve number problems and practical problems that involve 5N1 - 5N5
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.