Step 14: Ordinal Numbers Year 1 Learning Video Clip
Jungle Jim is having a day off from working in the jungle. He wakes up from a snooze and starts noticing things happening in jungle. Help Jungle Jim decide the order things happened in.
More resources for Autumn Block 1 Step 14.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
- Which animal did Jungle Jim see second and which did he see third? Discuss what the ordinal numbers are and what strategies can be used to find out how the question can be answered. Discuss how animals that appear on screen at the same time could be counted in either order.
- How many spots did the sixth ladybird have? Discuss method of finding answer by looking back at the ladybirds to retrieve the information needed. Discuss how only the spots of the sixth ladybird have to be counted and not the spots of every ladybird.
- In what position was the lady bird with 2 spots? Discuss question and language used. Discuss importance of focusing on the right part of the question i.e position of ladybird, not 2 spots means 2nd.
- What is the seventh fruit the monkey has collected? Discuss counting in order until the seventh fruit is reached.
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 1: (1N2c) Read and write numbers from 1 to 20 in numerals and words
Ordinal Numbers Year 1 Learning Video Clip
- Which animal did Jungle Jim see second and which did he see third? Tiger/ladybird and sloth/toucan
- How many spots did the sixth ladybird have? 9
- In what position was the lady bird with 2 spots? 8th
- What is the seventh piece fruit the monkey has collected? Banana
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.