Year 1 End of Year GPS Assessment
This Year 1 End of Year GPS Assessment helps identify progress by assessing against each of the Year 1 National Curriculum Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling objectives. The Teacher Objectives Sheet allows you to identify progress as well as gaps in pupils' knowledge.
Not a member? Sign up here.
What's included in the pack?
This pack includes:
- Year 1 End of Year GPS Assessment. Answers included.
- Tracking spreadsheet to help identify gaps in knowledge.
Year 1 National Curriculum Objectives:
Writing – Vocabulary, Grammar and Punctuation
Develop their understanding of the concepts set out in English appendix 2 by:
- (1G5) Leaving spaces between words
2 & 3. (1G3.3) Joining words and joining clauses using ‘and’
- (1G5.1) Beginning to punctuate sentences using a capital letter
1 & 4. (1G5.2) Beginning to punctuate sentences using a full stop
- (1G5.3) Beginning to punctuate sentences using a question mark
- (1G5.4) Beginning to punctuate sentences using an exclamation mark
- (1G5.1) Using a capital letter for names of people, places, the days of the week, and the personal pronoun ‘I’
* Use the grammatical terminology in English appendix 2 in discussing their writing
*This objective is not covered in the end of year assessment
English Appendix 2 guidance:
- (1G6.3) Regular plural noun suffixes –s or –es [for example, dog, dogs; wish, wishes], including the effects of these suffixes on the meaning of the noun
- (1G6.3) Suffixes that can be added to verbs where no change is needed in the spelling of root words (e.g. helping, helped, helper)
- (1G6.2) How the prefix un– changes the meaning of verbs and adjectives [negation, for example, unkind, or undoing: untie the boat]
- (1G3.1) How words can combine to make sentences
2 & 3. (1G3.3) Joining words and joining clauses using 'and’
- (1G3) Sequencing sentences to form short narratives
- (1G5) Separation of words with spaces
- (1G5.1) Introduction to capital letters to demarcate sentences
1 & 4. (1G5.2) Introduction to full stops to demarcate sentences
- (1G5.3) Introduction to question marks to demarcate sentences
- (1G5.4) Introduction to exclamation marks to demarcate sentences
- (1G5.1) Capital letters for names and for the personal pronoun I
Terminology for pupils
- (1G5.1) letter
- (1G5.1) capital letter
2, 5, 6, 8 & 9. (1G6) word
- (1G6.3) singular
- (1G6.3) plural
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 & 10. (1G3.1) sentence
- (1G5) punctuation
1 & 4. (1G5.2) full stop
- (1G5.3) question mark
- (1G5.4) exclamation mark
This resource is available to download with a Premium subscription.