Step 10: Count in 50s Year 3 Place Value Learning Video Clip
Cleo the time traveller has been called to help Caecilius restore order to his Roman fort. During her visit, Cleo uses her knowledge of counting both forwards and backwards in 50s to solve various puzzles.
More resources for Autumn Block 1 Step 10.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
- How many soldiers should sleep on the first floor in total? Discuss how to calculate the total value of 4 groups of 50.
- Which digits are missing from these sacks? Discuss which digits could fill these gaps to make a pattern.
- What number pattern has Cleo spotted? Discuss similarities and differences in the digits that have been used and identify a number pattern.
- Help Cleo by arranging the Roman jars in the correct order. Discuss how to order the Roman jars, in descending order, counting backwards in 50s.
- How many oranges has Cleo collected? Discuss how to calculate the total value of 5 groups of 50.
- How many buckets could be filled altogether? Discuss how many more groups of 50 there may be. This question is open-ended for the children to explore.
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 3: (3N1b) Count from 0 in multiples of 4, 8, 50 and 100
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.