Step 3: 100s, 10s, 1s 1 Year 3 Place Value Learning Video Clip
Cleo the time traveller has been called back to Ancient Egypt by Pharaoh Tut. He has some very important tasks for her involving 100s, 10s and 1s. Help Cleo complete the tasks and explore more of Ancient Egypt.
More resources for Autumn Block 1 Step 3.
Not a member? Sign up here.
Discussion points for teachers
- Help Cleo solve the value of the hieroglyphics so she can give this information to Pharaoh Tut. Discuss the value of each symbol. Discuss the value of each number by counting how many of each symbol there are.
- How could Cleo work out the value of everything she has collected? Discuss how organising the information makes it easier to read. What would be the best way to organise the offerings Cleo has?
- Help Cleo work out the total value of the offering. Does she have enough to take to Pharaoh Tut? Discuss the value of each representation. Discuss how the representation has been displayed. Discuss the importance of the partitioning, i.e. knowing that it has been unconventionally partitioned.
- Help Cleo solve the code and break free from the pyramid. Discuss how the information has been represented. Discuss the value of each representation and it’s combined total.
- How should Cleo enter the code? Discuss how the number should be partitioned? Discuss how many times will each button need to be pressed to input the correct number?
Optional discussion points:
What other ways could 100s, 10s and 1s be represented?
National Curriculum Objectives
Mathematics Year 3: (3N2a) Read and write numbers up to 1000 in numerals and in words
Mathematics Year 3: (3N3) Recognise the place value of each digit in a three-digit number (hundreds, tens, ones)
Mathematics Year 3: (3N4) Identify, represent and estimate numbers using different representations
Mathematics Year 3: (3N6) Solve number problems and practical problems involving 3N1 - 3N4
This resource is available to play with a Premium subscription.